Carpet mold can damage your carpet, produce unpleasant odors and cause wheezing in asthma sufferers. If you suspect you have a moldy carpet, it is always best to get rid of it right away. Mold removal from your carpet is a difficult task. While opting for DIY ways get mold out of the carpets during the initial stages is a good idea, seeking professional help is always recommended if the situation becomes worse. To learn more about DIY ways of carpet mold removal, take a look at this interesting guide below.
DIY Ways for Carpet Mold Removal
#1: White vinegar
Combine water (1 cup) with white vinegar (2 cups) within an empty spray bottle. Apply the prepared solution to any mold or mildew areas of the carpet and allow it to sit for a few minutes. The acidity of the vinegar will loosen and lift the mold or mildew deposit, making it easier for you to remove it from the carpet. Use a washcloth or sponge to wipe any mold from the affected area. Rinse the cleaned area with warm water and ensure that dry them thoroughly.
#2: Baking soda
Using baking soda helps absorb the moisture and dries out the mold, allowing easy mold removal from the carpet. Start by generously sprinkling baking soda over the moldy sections of the carpet. Use a brush to get the baking soda deep into the carpet fibers. Add some baking soda on the top of the carpet and leave it for about 28- 48 hours. Use a powerful vacuum cleaner to lift all the dry mold and baking soda from the carpet.
#3: Rent a HEPA Vacuum
Using a HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) vacuum is one of the best ways to get rid of mold from the carpets. For best results, use the vacuums after removing the infestation. The HEPA vacuums or filter helps remove the last spores from the area, reducing the risk of a whole new mold problem.
Factors to consider before removing mold from carpets
• Always wear protective gear such as face mask, gloves or goggles before you begin removing mold from carpets.
• Keep the room well ventilated. Ensure that the doors are closed to prevent the spores from getting to other areas of the house. However, keep the windows open for air circulation.
• Before starting with any diy treatment, sweep the affected area of the carpet with a broom. This will help loosen the mold.
• Remove the carpet and allow it to dry under the bright sun for about 48 hours. If the carpet cannot be removed use a humidifier, blow function or fan mode on your vacuum to dry the carpet thoroughly.
• Use ant- fungal solution to clean the floor area that was in contact with the carpet.
Carpet mold removal can be a real challenge. However, inspecting your carpet at regular intervals and taking prompt steps to kill mold in the carpet can not only help increase the life of your carpet but will also keep your loved ones safe and healthy.